The Sevierville Police Department has scheduled a 12-hour Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) class for women at the Sevierville Civic Center in the City of Sevierville Municipal Complex.
(NOTE: participants must attend each class date; no make-up classes will be available.) The class is free of charge and is open to all interested women (limited to 20 participants). The purpose of the class is to develop and enhance self-defense options, so they may become viable considerations to a woman if she is attacked.
The R.A.D. class is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. The R.A.D. system is a comprehensive, women-only course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. R.A.D. is not a martial arts program.
The class will be taught by SPD Sgt. Rebecca Cowan and Lt. David Finchum, both nationally certified R.A.D. instructors. Each participant will receive a workbook/reference manual, which outlines the entire program for future reference and continuous personal growth.
Frequently Asked Questions about the R.A.D. class:
1. Do you have to be in great shape to take the class? No! The class is designed everyone. We have even had an 80-year old take the class!
2. Can my daughter take the class with me? Yes; the minimum age is13 years old.
3. How much does it cost? The class is FREE. The Police Department wants to keep our citizens safe.
4. Will I get to fight anyone? On the last class, we have an instructor come in wearing a special protective suit so you can practice techniques. It is not required, but it provides you with good feedback.
5. Do I have to get in front of a class? No. After the instructor demonstrates the techniques, you be placed into small groups of two or three people to practice. We encourage women to bring friends or family to practice the techniques.
This class is designed to help women fight smarter not harder. Students will learn how to get out of bear hugs, choke holds and arm grabs. The class also covers how to get an attacker off of you, and how to punch and kick effectively.