SALARY: $52,006 - $57,337 with excellent benefits
The essential function of the position within the organization is to review building/construction plans and inspect structures and facilities for compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. The position is responsible for performing inspections, providing information to the public, enforcing codes and ordinances, maintaining records, and reporting. The position works under general supervision according to some procedures; decides how and when to complete tasks.
This position’s primary duties are:
- Conducts on-site building, structural, mechanical, and plumbing inspections to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Provides code and ordinance information to the public, City staff, contractors, and architects; reviews construction plans and specifications and advises contractors on non-compliance areas.
- Maintains records of inspection activity; prepares routine and special reports; files reports on construction projects as required.
- Performs periodic checks of contractor licenses and insurances to ensure currency.
- Stays abreast of changes in building codes and ordinances and new trends and innovations in building construction.
- Maintains certifications with the State of Tennessee and with the International Code Council through earning continuing education credit.
- Performs routine office tasks such as data entry, preparing correspondence, filing, telephoning, and photocopying.
- Attends staff meetings to exchange information; attends technical or professional classes, seminars, or conferences to improve technical or professional skills.
Requires associate degree or the equivalent of two years of college, specialized vocational training, or experience in construction, building inspection, or a closely related field. Requires valid Tennessee Driver’s License and Building, Mechanical, and Plumbing Inspector certification or must be able to attain certification within 6 months. Requires two years of related experience.
Please submit an application and/or resume in an envelope marked “Building Inspector” to:
City of Sevierville
Attn: Human Resources
P. O. Box 5500
Sevierville, TN 37864-5500
The City of Sevierville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected class as identified under Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (as amended), the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974, the Tennessee Human Rights Act, or on any basis protected by law.